Why Is Skincare Important?
If you want healthy, glowing skin naturally, then don’t wait until you’re old and wrinkled to try and get it. The best way to get healthy skin is by being proactive. After all, it’s much easier to prevent wrinkles than it is to remove wrinkles that have already appeared.
But good skincare is more than just about looks. Your skin is the largest organ on your body. It weathers it all for us—wind, dirt, grime, and elements like the sun. Our skin does so much for us, which is why it’s important to take good care of it.
Getting into a good skincare routine in your teenage years will help prevent damage, which means that your skin will be able to protect you for years and decades to come.
But what exactly is a good skincare routine? Here are 9 essential tips that you’ll want to add to your routine for healthy, smooth, and young-looking skin.
9 Skincare Tips for Healthy Skin
- Wash Your Face Daily: One of the best ways to both keep your skin looking healthy and young and lessen the appearance ofhormonal acne is to wash your face every day. Aim to wash your face twice a day—once in the morning when you wake up and once in the evening before you go to bed. If you wear makeup, then always wash it off before you go to bed. Use a cleanser, using a circular motion to apply it to your face. Also, use a toner to help even out your skin tone, as well as to open up clogged pores.
- Moisturize: Once you’ve washed your face, apply a moisturizer. If you’re concerned about the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles that could appear later in life, then you might want to try an anti-wrinkle cream. As long as you’re moisturizing twice a day, that will often be enough to keep your skin happy and healthy while you’re young. Make sure to look at the ingredients when you’re purchasing a moisturizer. Ingredients like hyaluronic acid and glycerin help your skin retain moisture, which helps maintain its natural barrier for glowing and healthy skin.
- Wear Sunscreen Every Day: Part of your daily skincare routine should be applying sunscreen. And yes, that includes wearing sunscreen in the winter! The sun produces several different types of UV rays, which can affect the skin. Over time, these rays can damage the structural integrity of the proteins that help your skin stay strong and elastic. This will lead to sagging skin and wrinkles early in life. Again, prevention is the best treatment. Start applying sunscreen daily while you’re in your teenage years to keep your skin safe and healthy. Look for products like Drmtlgy, which may protect the skin throughout the year.
- Exfoliate Once a Week: Exfoliating too often could be harmful to your skin, but doing it about once a week will help your skin look clear and healthy. It is because your body has a process called cell turnover. This means that as the skin cells on the top layer of your skin die, they are shed, which allows the young, living cells underneath to come up to the surface. Exfoliating your skin once or twice a week will help these dead skin cells shed faster. It gets rid of the dull-looking old cells, allowing you to look younger naturally.
- Don’t Pop Your Acne: If you’re looking to get rid of acne, popping your zit isn’t going to be the solution. Although it may be tempting to do, popping your acne is only going to result in scarring. Instead, prevent acne from appearing in the first place by making sure that you’re washing your face in the morning and night with the right type of cleanser. If you do have acne coming up, then treat it with an on-the-spot treatment. You can use tea tree oil as long as you’ve diluted it with a bit of water to help your acne clear up fast.
- Eat a Healthy Diet: What you put into your body matters! Your skin may be on the surface, but everything that you put into it has a huge effect on its overall appearance and health. Making sure that your diet is rich in antioxidant foods like broccoli, blueberries, squash, kale, and potatoes will help protect your skin from free radicals, which can damage your skin. Since your skin is made up of proteins, it’s also a good idea to make sure you’re getting enough protein during the day too. You can get protein from meat and animal products, as well as plant-based foods like lentils and beans. Also, your healthy diet will be beneficial for preventing hormonal acne.
- Drink Lots of Water: You need to provide your skin hydration by moisturizing it daily. But again, it’s important to consider what you’re putting into your body, too. Drinking water is important for your overall health. But it’s a good way to get glowing skin naturally and keep it looking clear and young. Make sure you’re drinking at least a few glasses of water every day. You may also want to consider purchasing a water bottle that you can carry around with you throughout the day. If you don’t like the taste of water, then consider throwing in some lemon or cucumber slices to add a more refreshing taste.
- Get Enough Sleep: Your body and brain are doing a lot of growing as a teenager. As part of the many changes to your body, you’re also probably noticing that you’re not sleeping more often and for longer. You must get enough sleep, especially during this period of your life. Your skin is one of the things that will reflect the quality of your sleep. If you’re not sleeping enough, your brain will produce higher levels of a stress hormone called cortisol. Too much cortisol can affect the structure of the proteins in your skin. Eventually, this will lead to dull, sagging skin. Make sure that you’re getting at least 7 to 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep every night to help your skin look younger naturally.
- Try Not to Touch Your Face: Your hands pick up a lot of things throughout the day. That includes grime and bacteria! When you touch your face, you’re transferring some of that grime onto your face. This can make your skin look dull, and can damage it over time. Try to avoid touching your face as much as possible. Further, you should remember to clean your makeup brushes often, as well as to only use clean towels and facecloths when you’re washing your face.
Making sure that you’re implementing a good, regular skincare routine early in your life is the best way to prevent getting wrinkles or fine lines as you age. The 9 tips above are all great ways to help you get glowing skin naturally, as well as to keep skin looking young and staying strong to protect you from the elements.
Give these tips a try and observe the difference in your skin for yourself.
Sophia Anthony is a freelance writer and blogger, covering health and fitness topics through visual representation. She is very passionate about general health and beauty. Apart from work she likes dancing and listening to music. You can also contact her on Facebook, and Instagram.