A Year in Review – Looking Back at 2019 & Forward to 2020
The world of 2019 witnessed positive progress worthy of praise and recognition. In just one year, our world accomplished so much. Let’s Review.
2019 Review – The United States
- We swore in the most diverse class of lawmakers in history.
- A Federal judge kept the Trump Administration from ending no-cost birth control.
- Lizzo revolutionized the body positivity movement in the music industry.
- Baby Yoda made his big debut.
- Simone Biles became the most decorated gymnast.
- The EU took a huge step to protect the environment by banning single-use plastic
- Greta Thunberg led the climate change movement
- Same-sex marriage became legal in Austria
- The UK went a week without using a coal-fired power station for first time in 137 years due to use of more renewables
- Taiwan became the first Asian country to legalize same-sex marriage
However, we must not overlook the struggles.
- The Uighur Muslim minority still remain locked up in China
- Venezuela’s economic and humanitarian crisis continues to worsen
- Brexit breaks the unity of the EU
- The Hong Kong protests violently rage on
- The Amazon burned
- The US-China trade deal still continues
- The US-Iran conflicts continue to bottle to a critical point
I hope that in 2021, the struggles of 2019 become the accomplishments of 2020. May 2020 bring a remedy to the ailments.
As a new year and a new decade approaches, we must not limit our ability to affect positive change. Whether it is on the local, state, national, or international level, every act has an impact.