In Jenn Burton’s Podcast, Single Smart Female, the host talks about habits of what she describes as an “adored woman.” Essentially, the adored woman is a woman who exudes confidence, who takes care of herself in a way that truly empowers her. Here, I wanted to write out these habits, give my own take on them, and discuss how a teen/young adult can apply them to her life. Because, in my opinion, everyone should know these things. If I would have been aware of these habits and the “adored woman lifestyle” earlier on, I would’ve felt a lot more secure in myself at a younger age.
Adored women take amazing care of themselves.
- She eats well, works out, and tries to find ways to simplify life to where she can take even better care of herself (makes self care a priority)
Perfection isn’t an option
- Give yourself permission to find yourself adorable just as you are, while also doing better when you need to. Perfection is subjective and, therefore, you are a masterpiece just as you are.
An adored woman continually educates herself.
- This can come in different forms. From school, to also being interested in learning things on your own and continuously reading, taking classes, and practicing and refining hobbies. You also have to be willing to put what you’re learning into action. Such as, for instance, learning how to speak a language… and then actually putting yourself in situations where there’s opportunity to speak your new language.
Focus on your potential, not your limits.
- Yes, there are limits that we face, especially as women. From wage inequality to societal oppression, we face very real struggles. BUT that doesn’t mean that you have to focus on those limits or abide by those societal rules. Focus on what you CAN accomplish, instead of what you can’t.
Choose to see most men as your ally, and not your adversary.
- This rule applies especially to romantic relationships, but also to any kind of relationship. If you decide to see men in a positive light and as people who could help you (whether in a career or as a friend), you won’t be as inclined to villainize or fear the opposite sex, like many women do.
Get off social media and stop CONSTANTLY paying attention to the news.
- These platforms are divisive, take up a lot of time (I know I’ve caught myself scrolling for HOURS), and they can contribute to negative self image and unrealistic comparison. Being informed with the news is great, but excessive news information can contribute to anxiety, feelings of hopelessness, and a more pessimistic outlook on life.
Turn your phone off at night.
- Phones can be distracting enough, but especially at night when it’s time to wind down and go to sleep. Don’t let something so essential be disturbed because your phone keeps you from getting your needed shut-eye. This also helps establish boundaries with people who might try to contact you last minute. Unless there’s a potential emergency you’re aware of BEFORE you go to turn your phone off, leave the midnight texts to be answered in the morning.
Actively work to simplify your schedule.
- Whether that means choosing to workout at home rather than taking the time to commute to the gym, reassessing how much time you’re allocating to areas of your life, or delegating tasks to others, try to simplify as much as you can!
Adored women believe that the universe (or a higher power, if she believes in a higher power) is FOR her, and wants to help her live a happy and fulfilling life.
- Whether she specifically believes in a God from a particular religion, or believes more so in the universe around her as a whole, an adored woman chooses to trust herself, those around her, and the forces in her life to, ultimately, want her to succeed. When you change your thought process to do what you can and give the rest to God or to the universe or to what or who you believe in, you’ll worry a lot less about the course of your life. It’ll help you enjoy life more!
In all, prioritize self care, learning and growing, and, most importantly, LOVING YOURSELF. Know that you deserve to be loved and cared for, and that begins when you love and care for YOU!