Whether it’s from your favorite pair of shoes soles finally giving up, to that one book you love turning into nothing more than a few loose pages, to the boy you loved for years not being that into you.
It all stinks, and it all hurts.
Though heartbreak hurts, and feels like pins are slowly stabbing your throbbing heart, there are ways to get over whatever made you eat a gallon of ice cream and listen to Kelly Clarkson on repeat. There are more healthy ways than doing that, but sometimes that works too (only in extreme cases).
Below is a list of things to do when you got the heartbreak blues :
- With the holidays coming up (when did they start playing Christmas music again?) the best way to get over not having a special someone/shoes/favorite TV show is to surround yourself with people who you love and love you. Throw a party, go shopping with your best friend, go roller skating at the local rink and dance your heart out to Christmas remixes.
- Dance in your room. I know that this sounds silly but dancing like no one is watching is an immediate pick me up for anyone with an aching heart. So turn on Queen Bey, throw on your favorite pair of pj’s, and dance to your heart’s content.
- Listen to your favorite girl band. Whether it’s Adele, Fifth Harmony, or Bikini Kill, they all make you feel proud to be an independent woman.
- Eat good food. Now, normally we all eat pretty good food (aka Chick-Fil-A) but when was the last time your mom made you your favorite pasta dish or green salad? Talk to your mom and see if you can help out with the meal; you’ll feel accomplished for not burning down the kitchen and have delicious comfort food.
- Go for a run. Or a walk. Or a hike. Just go out and do something for you body, it will thank you later. It not only allows you to see how beautiful this world is, Alabama is truly gorgeous, exercise releases endorphins and endorphins make you happy and happy people don’t cry over their boyfriend.
- Make some rad art. Painting, drawing, writing, crafting, dying, any of it can make you feel better and more complete. You’re not just creating something with your bare hands, making nothing into something; you are also doing something just for yourself. Plus, you can make some cool Christmas gifts for your friends and family and who doesn’t love thoughtful gifts?
- Cry. I am not suggesting you to cry for three weeks straight, but if that is what you feel would help you feel better go for it, but crying sometimes is okay. It is okay to be sad, it is okay to be disappointed, and it is okay for those emotions to come out through crying.
I know that whatever you are feeling right now hurts, and it feels like it will never stop hurting, but I promise you that if you go out and distract yourself, at least for a little while, you will feel better. It will take time, and your heart still might ache every time you think of that person, but doing things for yourself will only make YOU happy in the long run.