I have been gluten-free for a little over four years. A first, I struggled to find much to eat at restaurants beside the classic GF meal, a hamburger with no bun. I turned sixteen two years ago and decided that now that I could drive I was going to start finding new restaurants that offered a better variety of GF options. Now, I have found many restaurants that offer GF options without giving up delicious flavor. I wanted to share a list of my favorite GF foods you can find in Birmingham, AL!
- Another Broken Egg has the best GF chocolate chip pancakes. They are so good that sometimes my sister will order them over the regular pancakes.
- Magic Muffins offers a GF muffin. It is a nut/raisin muffin; though I wish they had a few different options of flavors, it is still a really yummy option.
Lunch / Dinner Options:
- Delta Blues is a 100% gluten-free restaurant, and let me tell you, it is my all-time favorite restaurant in Birmingham. They are known for their hot tamales (I recommend the Mississippi Mud tamale), but they also have chicken fingers, wings, and more fried foods that people on a GF diet can’t ever have. I highly urge everyone to try Delta Blues, gluten-free or not.
- Slice Pizza and California Pizza Kitchen both offer a GF pizza that is quite delicious and worth the splurge.
- P.F. Changs has an entire GF menu (you just have to request it once you sit down) that offers a lot of the meals on the regular menu with just a few modifications.
Snack / Dessert Options:
- Church Street Coffee’s GF lemon poppy seed bread is unbelievably good. The first time I had a piece of it, it was so good that I questioned to make sure it was actually gluten-free!
- Red Cat Coffee has a pumpkin chocolate chip muffin and lots of other yummy GF baked treats that are all very yummy.
- Cookie Fix’s #1 selling cookie, The Healthy PB Cookie, happens to be GF! There is a reason it is their best seller!
I hope that if you are already GF or looking into what it is like to be GF, this list helped you realize how many options for a GF diet there are in Birmingham! It has been so fun to try new GF goodies and not have to always order the same thing whenever I eat out.
Looking for more healthy eating options? Go to www.girlspring.com!