Bullying – a vague term that you always hear but you still can’t define. There are lots of ways to be bullied and though we think we know what exactly it is, you’ll be surprised at how many facts and statistics there are. These 10 facts by DoSomething.org will blow your mind and enlighten you about the effects of bullying.
1. Over 3.2 million students are victims of bullying each year.
2. Approximately 160,000 teens skip school every day because of bullying.
3. 17% of American students report being bullied 2 to 3 times a month or more within a school semester. Take a stand in your community by hosting a Bullying Policy Makeover event customizing your school’s anti-bullying policy.
4. 1 in 4 teachers see nothing wrong with bullying and will only intervene 4% of the time.
5. By age 14 less than 30% of boys and 40% of girls will talk to their peers about bullying.
6. Over 67% of students believe that schools respond poorly to bullying, with a high percentage of students believing that adult help is infrequent and ineffective.
7. 71% of students report incidents of bullying as a problem at their school.
8. 90% of 4th through 8th graders report being victims of bullying.
9. 1 in 10 students drop out of school because of repeated bullying.
10. As boys age they are less and less likely to feel sympathy for victims of bullying. In fact they are more likely to add to the problem than solve it.