Staying Healthy While Eating Fast Food
By: Meenu Johnkutty
Finding healthy fast food options at major chain restaurants may seem like an impossible task. Impossible as it may be, knowing how to choose the healthiest option is something that should be noted. Here are 6 things you should write down in your mental checklist if you’re ready to make a change about how you eat.
1. Low in calories: Though your daily caloric intake is dependent upon a range of factors like sex, weight, and age, the average lunch should be around 500 calories or less.
2. High in protein: Protein is a go-to for building muscle and staying strong. That said, each lunch meal should contain at least 10 grams of proteins.
3. Low in sodium: Now, this is a no-brainer. We’ve all heard the horror stories of eating too much salt. From high blood pressure to links to obesity, too much salt is definitely detrimental to your health. Unfortunately, most fast-food chains use salt to make their meals as tasty as possible. That being said, do not go past 1000 milligrams of salt in one sitting. 1000 is already way too high, but the important thing to note is that fast food is not ideal in the first place.
4. Low in sugar. Your lunch should not go past 20 grams of sugar.
5. No trans fat. Trans fat is always a big no-no. Trans fats are linked to heart disease and a range of detrimental effects on your body.
6. Water. Water. Water: While it may be tempting to down a cup of Pepsi alongside that cheeseburger, be cautions about the amount of calories you’re already intaking with that cheeseburger. Now, add in the amount of sugar present in that Pepsi, and you have a recipe for disaster. Water, though boring and tasteless as some may think, is the best option all-around.
I’m always for getting fast food if I’ve been eating healthy for a couple of weeks. Momentary splurges on a cheeseburger and fries is not the end of the world. But, if you’re consuming these types of food daily or multiple times a week, noting these things is important for your health. You are what you eat.
26 Fast-Food Lunches That Are Actually Healthy