ADJUSTMENT! The word that seems so distant, but yet so relevant to our everyday lives. Every single year as the new year begins, we have to get adjusted to the things that the new year brings. Starting another year of middle school or high school comes with new responsibilities, sometimes new friends, new expectations and new relationships. Sometimes these things can be very exciting or it can make us feel nervous for our future. Here are a few tips that I have on becoming adjusted.
1. GET A PLANNER! I did not realize how unorganized I was until I got a planner. I thought it was a stupid idea at first until I actually started writing in it daily. It keeps me on schedule with my everyday life and it helps me not forget the important things.
2. Set some GOALS! Sometimes we can feel unfocused or lost because we do not set any goals for ourselves. Set a short term and a long term goal for yourself and stick to it. The end result will feel AMAZING!
3. Be open to a NEW year! I know this may sound a little cliché, but sometimes we limit ourselves on the countless opportunities that we may have with a new year. A new school year can bring us countless new experiences that we have never experienced before.
4. Be open to making new friends! This is a big one! I remember thinking that I would have the same friends forever. I never really tried to make new friends until I came to college and WOW I was missing out. The greatest adventure is getting to know new people and making new memories. Now I’m not saying get rid of your best friends but it does not hurt to open your social count of friends.
5. Realize that you are a different person than you were yesterday! But seriously tho! My greatest challenge was learning that I will continue to change. I may not like the same things ten years from now or I may hate the same restaurant that I just loved a week from now. This is totally normal. Is it okay to CHANGE! It is okay to try new things. It is okay to find yourself!
6. And lastly make MEMORIES and HAVE FUN! A new year always comes with an opportunity to make new memories and to try new things. Take advantage of this because before you know it, we will all be saying goodbye to high school and college and will be adults in the real world one day!